Reader Enquiries File - complaint regarding research results

RE: Inaccurate information supplied

Dear Researcher

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the information supplied in response to your research request, and which you now believe to be inaccurate. On the basis of the details you supplied I have conducted an extensive investigation, and I am pleased to say that I have identified the individual responsible. Unfortunately, I was not able to speak to the gentleman in question since he is no longer with us. In fact, it appears that he died about 150 years ago and to the best of my knowledge did not leave a diary or other personal papers that might shed some light on his thinking on this matter.

In the absence of any documentary evidence, I therefore can only guess that he spelled your great-great-grandfather's surname incorrectly in the marriage register because your great-great-grandfather, who made his mark (X) instead of signing, did not spot the error at the time.

You also had concerns regarding his baptism entry, which our researcher also found for you. I can assure you that while we would not use this word in an official document today, it was common parlance at that time and was often included in the baptism entries of children born to unwed mothers. It was in no way intended as a comment on your great-great-grandfather's character.

I hope that this clarifies matters to your satisfaction, and that you will continue to use our paid research service, or visit us in person to view our records for yourself.

Respectfully yours,

Cat A Logger
Archivist


RE: RE: Inaccurate information supplied

Dear Researcher

We are always interested in the views of users of our archives, including comments such as those in your first communication, pointing out the quirks and and even inaccuracies in our original records. However, I must apologise for omitting to explain in my response to you that errors of fact, or even mis-statements, in the records can be interesting and significant in themselves. While I have some sympathy with your desire for accuracy, making any alterations to a documents would compromise the integrity of the record. As responsible custodians of our collections, and in line with best archival practice, we are unable to allow such alterations under any circumstances.

I fear that I may therefore have unwittingly contributed to the misunderstanding which led to your ejection from the record office earlier this week. As I explained in the previous paragraph, your attempt to write in one of our original volumes was in contravention of our Rules for Readers, a copy of which is included and which you should find helpful, at least when your period of suspension expires and you are re-admitted to the reading room. I am afraid that your breach of the rules is in no way mitigated by the fact that you went to the trouble and expense of acquiring an authentic quill pen and a bottle of iron gall ink, appropriate to the period.

However, at your request I have passed your observations on to our senior conservator. She is not available for comment at the moment, but we hope to be able to coax her down from the top of the repository shelving very soon, and the doctor expects the uncontrollable shaking to subside in a day or two.

Respectfully yours,

Cat A Logger
Archivist

Comments